8-Game Mix Basics
PokerStars 8 Game Mix is quickly becoming one of the most popular mixed games among poker pros and amateurs alike. As more players realize that playing several different games not only makes poker more interesting but also improves your overall game, mixed game tournaments now take place during most major tournament series.
A true test for a poker player, 8 Game Mix is different than some other poker game mixes because it includes games with different betting structures (not only limit games like in HORSE or HOSE). At the annual World Series of Poker* (WSOP), the $50,000 Players Championship is now played as 8 Game Mix, which is a true testament to how prestigious this game is.
What is 8 Game Mix Poker?
8 Game Mix consists of the following games:
- Limit 2-7 Triple Draw
- Limit Hold’em
- Limit Omaha Eight or Better (High Low)
- Razz (Stud Low)
- Limit Seven Card Stud
- Limit Stud Eight or Better (High Low)
- Pot Limit Omaha (PLO)
8 Game Mix Rotation
A full 8 Game Mix table will seat six players. If you are playing in a cash game, the game will rotate every six hands, beginning with 2-7 Triple Draw, then moving on to Hold’em followed by Omaha Eight or Better, and so on. All the games will be played (in the order listed above) and then the rotation will start again. If you are playing in an 8 Game Mix tournament, the game will change every level.
To keep the stakes consistent throughout the game rotations, the blinds are lowered for No Limit Hold’em and Pot Limit Omaha.
PokerStars Mixed Game Variations
Other than 8 Game Mix, PokerStars offers the following options for mixed game players:
- HORSE - This is one of the most popular ways to play mixed games. The name HORSE is an acronym for the games it consists of: Hold'em, Omaha, Razz, Stud, and Eight or Better Stud. All of these games are played with betting limits.
- HOSE - Similar to HORSE, this mix includes Hold’em, Omaha, Stud and Eight or Better Stud (Hi/Lo). Basically, this is HORSE without the Razz game.
- Mixed Hold’em - For the Texas Hold’em enthusiast, this game switches between No Limit Hold’em and Limit Hold’em.
- Mixed Omaha Hi/Lo - This mix alternates between Pot Limit and Limit Omaha Hi/Lo games. To make sure the stakes stay consistent, the blinds increase when Limit is played.
- Hold’em/Omaha – The game switches between Pot Limit Hold’em and Pot Limit Omaha.
- Triple Stud – In this Stud mix, the game consists of Stud High, Razz, and Stud Eight or Better.
Play 8 Game Mix Poker Online
*WORLD SERIES OF POKER and WSOP are trademarks of Caesars License Company, LLC ("Caesars"). Caesars does not sponsor or endorse, and is not associated or affiliated with PokerStars or its products, services, promotions or tournaments.
Tutorial videos show you what poker is all about and how to start playing at PokerStars.
The PokerStars software is easy to install and has industry-leading features.
Poker Games FAQ
Frequently asked questions and answers about playing poker at PokerStars.
The PokerStars support team is on hand 24-7 to assist you, and can answer any questions not listed in the FAQ.